Apple have released Technical Note TN2165, an FAQ about the X window environment (X11) for Mac OS X.
There are several interesting things in the tech note including:
- “OpenGL does not support off-screen rendering.” Even with OpenGL not being enabled in OpenOffice.org, I get redraw issues with part of the window being off screen. This happens in both when scrolling the document and opening a new dialog that partially appears off screen. When the section of the document or dialog is moved on screen, then it doesn’t draw properly. I’m now wondering if this problem is not just with OpenGL, but with X11 in general.
- XDarwin is no longer recommended.
- It is technically feasible to make cmd+v work across all X11 applications.
- “XInputExtension is not yet implemented.” Could this be why OpenOffice.org on the mac has some issues with the input of some international characters? (Please correct me in the comments if I’m wrong with this assumption.)
- OpenGL has the same problem as the command osacompile, in that it won’t run/work unless the user is root or the currently logged in user of Mac OS X.