The second OpenOffice.org Aqua Preview is now available for download.
There are a number of new features and bug fixes in this release. There is one major known regression, that will be fixed in a future development build. This time we have not hacked the source to include the Mac OS X native file picker. Instead there is the OpenOffice.org file picker used.
For the record the new things in this version include:
- Printing now works, though it does not yet use an aqua print dialog
- PDF export now works
- Copy and Paste should now work fully
- OpenOffice.org no longer crashes after quiting
- Text and graphics are now drawn properly
- Windows and dialogs mostly now have an aqua theme
- Combo boxes now look a lot better
- Various bugs, crashes and performance improvements
- (QA only) testtool can be hacked to work properly
There are a number of things that do not work in this version. Please do not report anything in the following list, as reporting known issues, just wastes developers time. The known issues currently include:
- There is a black flash when opening new windows
- OpenOffice.org still has problems with Aqua’s device resolution indepence
- There is no Aqua file picker in this release. This is a known regression, the Aqua file picker will be back in a future build
- Opening a document to open in OpenOffice.org from another application, such as the Finder, Mail or Safari, will mean that OpenOffice.org will open with a blank document. You need to open all documents from within OpenOffice.org
- The print dialog is not the same as one in other Mac OS X Applications
- Starting OpenOffice.org from a shared/remote folder does not work
- Impress will not recognise multiple monitors for presentations
The list on the aqua download page will be updated with more known issues as required.
Hello from Ireland Shaun. Thanks so much for your work on the OS X port. Looking forward to the first public beta/preview!
Can you comment on how this port compares to NeoOffice? Will there be a need for NeoOffice once the Open Office port to Mac OS X is completed?
As far as I’m aware within the next one or two years the NeoOffice project will no longer be needed and will be dissolved, as OpenOffice.org Aqua will do everything and more than what NeoOffice currently does.
Waiting for the final version to be released! Keep up the good work!